Chief Finance & Operations Officer | Tuxedo Park School
Carney, Sandoe & Associates
Location: New York
Type: Full Time
Tuxedo Park School is a co-educational, independent school serving over 150 students. Established in 1900, with the main building constructed in 1915, and situated on a 17 acre campus, the school is located in the historic gated community of Tuxedo Park, New York. The school is one of the first schools in the country to specialize in elementary education (pre-K through Grade 9). The school serves families living in Orange and Rockland Counties in New York and Bergen and Passaic Counties in New Jersey. We seek an experienced financial professional with independent school experience.
Chief Financial and Operating Officer
Tuxedo Park School seeks a dedicated professional to join the administrative leadership team as Chief Financial and Operating Officer (CFOO) beginning July 1, 2022. The CFOO is responsible for oversight and management of the school’s operations and to ensure the school’s financial strength. This position oversees a number of important operations of the school, including finance, facilities, human resources, IT, health and safety, risk management, and implementation of the school’s strategic plan. A proactive, strategic, and relational approach is necessary in this work. The CFOO oversees and works closely with the Assistant Business Manager to administer audited financials, budgets, billing, collections, disbursements, payroll, benefits, and employee support/evaluation. The CFOO oversees the Facilities Dept to ensure facilities are maintained and upgraded. The CFOO oversees the IT functions to ensure school technology/equipment is current and controls are in place to avert attempted cyber breaches. The CFOO oversees the School Nurse and works to ensure the health and safety of the community.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or CPA preferred.
- 10+ years of senior-level experience in the areas of operations and finance administration. Independent school experience preferred, though individuals with strong financial and leadership skills will be considered.
- Strong understanding of financial systems and controls, GAAP, budgeting, and capital management, and plant management.
- Experience on senior administrative teams and working with non-profit Boards.
- Proven success in a senior administrative role and demonstrated ability to manage multiple departments.
- Excellent communication skills: written, oral, and presentation.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities including the ability to work collaboratively with other school community members.
- Experience in the development of analysis for strategic decision-making, such as key cost drivers, competitive analysis, market analysis, organizational strengths and weaknesses, etc.
- Experience in human resource management, employee benefits (including pension plans), and payroll procedures.
- Knowledge of business and not-for-profit accounting policies, procedures, and adherence to best practices.
- Proficient knowledge of a variety of computer software applications, including word processing (MS Word), spreadsheets (MS Excel), database (Blackbaud), and presentation software.
- Ability to think and plan strategically and creatively.
- Ability to supervise, manage, and delegate multiple functions and activities.
- Committed to equity and inclusion practices.
- Overall mobility is essential, including sitting, walking, standing, driving, and working under varying conditions for extended periods of time during the school/work day.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide school-wide strategic leadership, analysis, and management of finances and operations.
- Serve on the Head of School’s Administrative Team and lead, or participate in several other teams and committees.
- Oversee and manage all Business Office operations, including development and approval of the annual operating budget, accounting functions, financial modeling and analysis, payroll, human resources, risk management, and benefits.
- Oversee all financial reporting, including the periodic reports of operating results compared to the budget, and periodic bank covenant review. Audiences for financial information include the Board of Trustees, the Finance Committee, the Head of School, other administrators and internal departments, lenders, and other authorities.
- Build and/or maintain the school’s short- and long-term strategic financial models.
- Oversee the administration of the school’s endowment, ensure compliance with investment/spending policy, implement investment decisions of the Investment Committee, and coordinate with the endowment consultants, investment managers, and custodians.
- Oversee School operations including personnel, maintenance, transportation, IT, food services, health services and other outside vendors.
- Evaluate the Business Office’s strengths and weaknesses and develop goals/plans and systems that will improve department performance and customer service.
- Oversee the annual financial and 403b plan audits and filing of 990 tax returns.
- Serve as chief staff liaison to Board committees, including but not limited to, the Finance, Audit, Building & Grounds, and Investment committees. Work closely with Committee chairs, organizing agendas, meeting materials and presenting at meetings.
- Negotiate with lenders when necessary to ensure that funding is secured for needs of the school and ensure compliance with loan terms.
- Ensure that the school is in compliance with all local and state reporting requirements.
- Collaborate effectively with and provide support for Advancement, Admissions, and other departments.
- Manage and oversee the school’s physical plant. Coordinate with the Facilities Supervisor on oversight of the physical plant, grounds, and construction functions. Assist with planning and direct all replacements and renewals of the physical plant.
- Publicly represent the school in a positive and proactive way, collaborating with other School administrators, neighbors, and Village of Tuxedo Park officials.
- Maintain appropriate professional memberships and represent the school at related meetings and conferences.
- Provide sound and consistent employment policies, adequate staffing levels, compensation, and appropriate benefits programs for all facets of school operations.
- Help implement and administer all employee benefit programs, including health insurance, retirement, worker’s compensation, life insurance, wellness programs, and other related plans.
- Collaborate with the Head of School and other senior administrators on providing leadership regarding employee hiring, termination, compensation, and management.
- Manage and make decisions regarding insurance programs: property, casualty, medical, workers’ compensation.
- Work collegially within a diverse community and communicate effectively with diverse populations.
- Demonstrate an interest in diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging work and participate in professional development as related to DEIB work
- Proactively anticipate the needs of teachers and academic leaders. Create systems and procedures to ensure staff have the resources to support the overall success of the school.
- Work with the Board and Head of School to execute the strategic initiatives of the school and ensure the school is executing its mission.
- Manage relationships with all operations vendors and custodial services.
- Implement legally compliant safety procedures and drills for fire, evacuation, lockdown, shelter-in, etc.; oversee compliance with staff CPR and AED training and certification.
- Manage business office staff and all business office financial accounts.
- Maintain purchasing and vendor contracts/insurance records.
- Maintain and retain all corporate documents, including deeds, master plan, articles of incorporation, and all documents required for effective running of the school.
- Establish/maintain employment policies in compliance to NYS law and respond to employment law changes.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- TPS offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including optional medical and dental plans; non-contributory life and disability insurance; 403(b) Plan
For consideration ONLY qualified candidates should submit a PDF document(s) to include employment application, cover letter and resume to Greg Britton: email@example.com
Tuxedo Park School is an equal opportunity employer.