The Director of Finance is one of The Academy’s leading support staff professionals and works as part of the Senior Team to assist the Head of School in their duty to ensure that the school meets its educational aims. The Director of Finance promotes the highest standards of business ethos within the administrative function of the school and strategically ensures the most effective use of resources in support of the school’s learning objectives. The Director of Finance is responsible for providing professional leadership and management of the school’s financial resources consistent with the Academy’s values, vision, and mission.
1) To supervise the work of the business office personnel and use standard accounting and bookkeeping procedures, to keep an accurate continuous record of the cash and financial position of the school and manage the financial operation of the school so that the institution remains financially stable.
2) In cooperation with our external accounting firm,prepares a monthly operating statement (financial statements with analysis) for the Head of School, board treasurer, and the Board of Trustees.
3) To oversee and develop the annual operating budget, monitoring regularly and communicating with those in charge of cost centers to assure adherence and/or a full understanding of variances.
4) To evaluate accounting policies and practices, revising as necessary and ensuring compliance in order to protect school assets.
5) To manage risk at the school to ensure the safety of personnel and students in their use of the facilities and to maintain appropriate levels of insurance to protect the institution and to cover the liability of the school.
6) To establish a plan and schedule for the preparation of yearly tuition and the annual budget in cooperation with the Board of Trustees and Administration.
7) Oversee an annual audit of the school's financial records and financial positions, providing the necessary resources for the audit team’s work.
8) To oversee all school purchasing, financial investments, banking activities, payroll and benefits program.
9) Oversees and ensures the annual participation of the Academy in various state grant programs including mandated services, MST and other potential avenues that we may be eligible for.
10) With Head of School, authorize third party outsourced contracts and relationships.
11) To provide staff support, in conjunction with the head of school, finance committee and executive committee of the Board of Trustees.
12) To work with the admissions staff on financial aid and tuition management
13) To supervise and oversee the implementation and management of various school platforms including Smart tuition, Blackbaud student information systems and One Cause.
14) To assist the Head of School with decisions regarding salaries and benefits for all personnel, including, but not limited to, the onboarding of all employees and evaluation of support staff.
15) To work collaboratively with sensitivity for the interests of others, in a small familial school community.
16) To represent the school at various state (NYSAIS), and national (NAIS) associations relative to the role of being the Director of Finance.
17) To perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at The Bridges Academy will be based on merit, qualifications, experience, and abilities. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, genetic predisposition, or any characteristic protected by the law.