Location: United States,
Special Instructions to Applicants: All interested applicants must attach a cover letter and a resume in the Supporting Documents section of the application in a PDF format. Please note that the applicant tracking system does not convert attachments in Word format successfully.
This position will work closely with the Sr. Department Administrator and Finance & Program Administrator to monitor, analyze, clean-up cost center, research and faculty funds in the department of Earth, Environmental and Planetary Sciences. S/he will perform moderately complex finance functions and activities related to budgeting and forecasting. This person will need to be comfortable fund accounting, billing, costing sheets and performing targeted follow-through on all submitted paperwork.
The ideal candidate must be able to build budgets for proposals, have strong excel skills and the ability to effectively present findings. This person should possess excellent critical thinking & problem-solving skills and be able to work independently and/or collaboratively while balancing multiple projects at a time.
This is a 12-month term limited position with a possibility of extending
This position is eligible for a flexible work schedule
- Bachelor's Degree
- In lieu of the education requirement, additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis may be substituted
- 3 years of related experience in finance and / or accounting
- Performs and designs ad hoc analyses of large complex data sets; reconciles complex accounts
- Identifies and resolves complex issues
- Maintains, reconciles, reviews, combines, and validates financial data sets and accounts
- Constructs and assembles data for budgeting and decision making; develops conclusions, and presents high level summary of recommendations
- Develops reports and presentations of complex financial data and metrics for management and third parties
- May develop annual budget for individual department / unit
- Runs and analyzes financial reports; assists in preparation of management information reports
- Performs preliminary analysis, recognizes exceptions and recommends solutions that may require changing or developing new processes
- Ensures work complies with complex internal policies and external regulations which may require interpretation
- Serves as a first line resource to client groups on matters in work unit
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 3 years of experience in finance
- Ability to collaborate with other team members
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently via email, zoom or in person
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Sign
- User knowledge and demonstrated experience of financial systems
- Understanding Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Advanced communication skills, including ability to prepare materials for and clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences and client groups
- Project management skills and ability to contribute to or lead part of a multi-functional team
Rice University HR | Benefits: https://knowledgecafe.rice.edu/benefits
Rice Mission and Values: Mission and Values | Rice University
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Faculty and staff are expected (but not required) to have completed a full vaccination series for COVID-19 (currently defined as full course COVID-19 Vaccine (typically two shots of a WHO-approved COVID-19 Vaccine or one J&J) and a COVID-19 booster. Rice does not require documentation for COVID 19 vaccination at this time for faculty and staff. More information can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies