a. Manage finance activities to ensure efficient and lawful functioning of the school district.
b. Supervise and monitor the budget process and expenditure rate of the school district. c. Provide direction in the development of the annual capital outlay plan.
d. Oversee the execution of the district’s worker compensation insurance program.
e. Review major contracts that the district enters into with external organizations before ratification.
f. Ensure applicable state and federal reports are submitted in a timely and accurate manner.
g. Provide expertise and financial information for short and long range planning purposes h. Possess organizational and planning skills necessary to effectively communicate with the Board of Education, staff and community.
i. Possess leadership and supervisory skills necessary to effectively work with school district administrators and staff.
j. Provide leadership in improving productivity and accuracy.
k. Knowledge and ability to monitor Kansas’ legislation related to school finance.
l. Comply with all district policies, rules and regulations.
m. Working knowledge of Payroll Coordinator, Budget Finance Coordinator, and Purchasing/Payable Coordinator responsibilities to be able to fulfill roles.
2. Physical Requirements/Environment Conditions:
a. Requires the ability to sit and work on a computer for prolonged periods.
b. Ability to work in a stressful and demanding environment meeting critical deadlines.
c. Occasionally requires the ability to stoop, bend and reach. d. Occasionally requires the ability to manually move, lift, carry, pull or push heavy objects or materials.
e. Requires the ability to occasionally travel.
f. Requires regular attendance and/or physical presence at the job.
1. Perform the duties of treasurer as defined by KSA 72-1136 and Derby Public Schools Board Policies.
2. Supervise and direct the work of all employees in the finance department.
3. Take the lead in developing improvements in the financial management of the school system, including budget methods, format and presentation.
4. Oversee the preparation, publication and distribution of budgets as approved by the superintendent and the board.
5. Develop budget guidelines, supervise and coordinate the preparation of the budget and assist key administrators in preparing their budgets.
6. Supervise and monitor the daily, monthly and annual accounting and financial functions of all district funds and reporting procedures.
7. Assist in the presentation, justification and preparation of additional analysis required to understand the budget proposal for action by the board.
8. Work with community organizations and citizens in interpreting the financial needs and impact of the school system by providing program and financial data and analysis through personal appearances as appropriate.
9. Prepare analysis of program costs and methods of financing, including long range projections of requirements.
10. Coordinate regular budget meetings for staff for distribution of relevant information. 11. Ensure that an annual audit of financial activities occurs and that any recommendations from the audit report are acted upon.
12. Supervise and direct the work of all employees in the business department.
13. Coordinate yearly financial report.
14. Adhere to all district health and safety policies.
15. Keep abreast of Kansas school finance, budget and legislative issues through various means, and communicate pertinent information to the Superintendent, and other stakeholder groups as requested.
16. Other duties as assigned by the Superintendent of Schools which are consistent with the general requirements and qualifications of the position
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field required (MS or CPA preferred).
Three or more years of Kansas school district budget experience is preferred.
Finance and budgeting software experience required.
Knowledge of payroll and benefits accounting is preferred.
Knowledge of public funds purchasing requirements is preferred.
Derby Public Schools, USD 260, covering 50 square miles, is a suburban school district
that is part of the Wichita metropolitan area consisting of approximately 500,000 people.
Although more than 20,000 people call Derby home, the population of our district
boundaries includes large sections of Sedgwick County. The Oaklawn/Sunview area,
McConnell Air Force Base, Towne Parc, Oak Knoll, and Salem Township are all included
within our boundaries. This makes our district population near 40,000.
USD 260 serves approximately 7,000 students through nine elementary schools, two
middle schools, and one high school. All-day kindergarten is offered at each of our
elementary schools. The students are exposed to a district-wide K-12 curriculum that
supports Reading/Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, computer technology,
Music Education, and a variety of electives ranging from foreign languages to business
courses to the arts. Our students consistently score above the state and national norms in
the assessments that are given K-12.
The public voted to approve a $114.02 million bond issue in February 2018. The bond
approved remodeling at eight elementary buildings, con...struction of a new elementary
school, remodeling at Derby High School and Derby Middle School, remodeling of the
transportation and maintenance buildings, and construction of a new administrative center.
Over 1,000 certified and classified employees in the district support student learning. Of
our certified staff, slightly more than 60% hold a Master’s degree with 36% at a
Master’s plus 30 hours or above on our salary schedule. District health, dental, and short-
term disability insurance plans are made available to staff through our cafeteria plan. The district continually strives to provide optimal working conditions for all staff members.
The District’s Accomplishments and Challenges
2021-2022 Project Lead The Way (PLTW) Distinguished Schools
Derby Hills Elementary
El Paso Elementary
Park Hill Elementary
Derby High School