This position is based on Stanford's main campus with consideration given to the option for a hybrid work schedule (partially onsite and offsite), subject to operational need. Interested candidates must include a resume and cover letter to be considered for this position.
About Us The Stanford Doerr School of Sustainability strives to create a future when humans and nature thrive in concert and in perpetuity. The school is made up of a three-part structure to drive global impact: Our academic departments and programs educate students and create new knowledge across areas of research that are crucial for advancing the long-term prosperity of the planet; Institutes bridge scholarship at Stanford and beyond, bringing multiple viewpoints to bear on urgent challenges; The Sustainability Accelerator drives new policy and technology solutions through a worldwide network of partners who work with our teams to develop solutions at a global scale. The school is dedicated to creating and supporting a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, and to creating solutions that benefit all people, particularly those most affected by environmental damage and climate change.
The Sustainability Accelerator serves as a launch pad to leverage knowledge and expertise at Stanford and co-develop potentially scalable sustainability technology and policy solutions with external partners worldwide, with the goal to substantially and measurably improve the quality of human life and our planet.
If you are highly motivated - up for a challenge in standing up a new organization in a new school - and know how to get things done, this position may be the right career opportunity for you!
The Sustainability Accelerator is seeking a Director of Finance and Operations to develop, manage and lead coordination of administrative and operations-related functions for the newly formed Sustainability Accelerator.
Your Responsibilities will include*:
General Administration * Responsible for the accuracy and integrity of the department's business processes and practices, and their consistency with University and School policies and guidelines. * Support the Executive Director and leadership team to implement strategic priorities to achieve Accelerator objectives and key results
Financial Management Direct all fiscal operations for the Accelerator, including:
* Development of budget plans and resource allocation in response to departmental needs and goals, in partnership with Accelerator leadership. * Oversee day-to-day financial management of individual accounts and transactions, ensuring that all relevant regulations and policies are adhered to, appropriate cost controls are in place and necessary records are maintained.
Personnel Administration Responsible for Accelerator administrative personnel activities, including:
* Manage departmental administrative staff and/or acts as administrative supervisor in cases where administrative staff report directly to faculty. * Work closely with School Human Resources team and central offices in administering various personnel functions. * Oversee personnel actions for faculty, staff, students, post docs and others. * Provide administrative support for faculty, fellows, and staff recruitment, appointment and promotion procedures.
Research Administration * Manage proposal development and submittal process; supervise the staff who work closely with the Accelerator Solutions team and OSR to ensure that agency requirements and university policies are adhered to. * Supervise staff who oversee post-award processing and awards management, working closely with OSR, the PI and other relevant entities. Establish mechanisms whereby projects are managed effectively from award through project close-out, including all necessary financial reporting. * Supervise staff responsible for developing and implementing systems to measure performance and key results
Facilities and Property * Responsible for space planning and allocation for all faculty, staff and students. * Ensure appropriate maintenance of all department facilities and equipment * Serve as the department representative on all facilities and renovation projects * Oversee and coordinate faculty and staff moves within departmental facilities * Maintain/manage current department space and equipment inventories. * Develop and maintain social, transportation and physical infrastructures to ensure a vibrant linkage between main campus community and potential future Accelerator off site locations.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in this position, you will need:
Education & Experience: Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience in administrative and financial management, or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills including conflict resolution. * Excellent planning and organizational skills. * Excellent communication skills. * Strong financial expertise in accounting, budget planning and financial forecasting. * Strong expertise in grants and contract administration. * Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills. * Attention to detail and accuracy. * Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. * Strong expertise in business and management computer applications and databases. * Strong knowledge of industry standards and/or regulatory requirements. * Subject matter expertise for area(s) of responsibility. * Ability to multi-task and manage deadlines. * - The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS: * Occasional evening and weekend hours.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the "Apply for Job" button.
Why Stanford is for you: Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
* Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak. * A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources. * A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits. * Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums. * Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Stanford welcomes applications from all who would bring additional dimensions to the University's research, teaching and clinical missions.
Why work at Stanford?Stanford University has changed the world, over and over again.We are one of Silicon Valley's largest employers - and also one of the most unique. Our mission is to educate future leaders and promote interdisciplinary, world-class research and teaching. This passion makes Stanford an intensely creative, rewarding, and challenging place to work. At the same time, our traditions of respect and collaboration sustain a humane, supportive environment in which to pursue your life and your career.At Stanford you'll work with bright, diverse, dedicated people. You'll find encouragement to learn and grow. You'll enjoy excellent benefits and an outstanding environment. How will it change you?