Provides leadership in analysis and review of financial data and prepares financial statements and reports requiring advanced application and use of concepts, theories, practices, and terminology of accounting. Applies complex accounting principles, concepts and regulations to practice and production. Provides leadership to accounting staff in the application of accounting principles, concepts, regulations and practices. Provides guidance to executive leadership on complex accounting transactions. Develops accounting policies and procedures for the organization.
- Leads evaluation and recommendation of improvements in accounting system procedures to ensure accurate application of accounting principles.
- Defines, analyzes and coordinates the input of financial information into the general ledger system. Evaluates, approves and provides accounting expertise.
- Provides review and facilitates the completion of complex reconciliations of unique data requiring knowledge and understanding of multiple transactions sources.
- Reviews, formats, and prepares highly technical, complex, non-routine financial reports and schedules. Prepares projections for future periods.
- Designs, develops and recommends options for projection methodologies and models to show the effects of proposals on the organization.
- Coordinates complex regulatory audit. Develops and presents recommendations regarding future corrective actions needed to facilitate compliance.
- Stays informed of changes in accounting literature and provides guidance on recording of complex transactions and the implementation of accounting principles.
- The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
ACCOUNTING REPORTING (EXPERT):- Knowledge of the general financial accounting practices and principles. Able to analyze and interpret financial statements as well as develop reports and present them in a comprehensive and intelligent manner.
PROBLEM SOLVING (EXPERT):- Uses critical thinking and process improvement i.e. coaches and mentors development of problem statement, describes current state, identifies root causes, creates future state, coaches and mentors development of solutions and action plans with a sustainability plan. Applies appropriate tools to address issues.
REGULATORY COMPLIANCE (EXPERT):- Demonstrates knowledge of the appropriate rules and regulations and apply them in difficult, stressful and complex situations. Able to interpret and explain rules and regulations that are ambiguous or unclear. Directs others in interpreting rules and regulations on the job and trains others in them. C
OMMUNICATION (EXPERT):- Clearly, effectively and respectfully communicates to employees or customers.
PEER LEADERSHIP (ADVANCED):- The ability to show leadership and influence people of equal rank in an effort to accomplish team goals.
CORE ACCOUNTABILITIES: - Organizational Impact: Delivers projects/assignments that have a direct impact on goals/objectives of the unit/department that the job is in. - Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Conducts extensive analysis of situations or data to resolve numerous, complex issues; may involve the input/work of others. - Breadth of Knowledge: Has in-depth level of knowledge within a professional area and working knowledge of other areas. - Team Interaction: May lead mid-sized projects; coaches and guides team members.
Qualifications - External
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and 8 years relevant experience
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.